Time

michael - Brockton, Massachusetts
Themes: carpe diem, place

I love porch time. Sitting on the steps of the bunk porches during summer is one of my favorite activities. Just sitting with my best friends, looking out at the field, not a care in the world, just watching, observing, relaxing. Time seems to move slowly but it does not bother me or anybody. If we could we would reach out grab the minute hand and bring it to a screeching halt. We sit and watch the world go by. For those few short minutes there are no worries.

One would think there is not much to be taken from such a mundane activity. In actuality it is quite the contrary. I love this activity because I get to cherish two things that are most important to me, friendship and time. Since I was nine years old I have sat out on the porch building bonds with friends. As we sit and watch the world we think about the future, but more importantly we cherish the moment because we know life does not get much simpler, thus life is good. I guess friendship and time go hand and hand.

Lately porch time has been different. Instead of time going slowly time seems to speed up. There is always the thought in the back of our heads that this may be it. We all know the real world is coming and coming fast, almost as if we can reach out and touch it from the porch. We have been reminiscing about the past. We sit and talk about past summers and glorious moments of our youth wondering where the time has gone. We realize that is important to cherish each other, and cherish every moment. This I truly believe.