Laura - Chicopee, Massachusetts
Themes: hope

I believe that every day is a new day. Each day is a fresh start when you are responsible for choosing your attitude, which in turn affects how you act. At the beginning of a new day, I ask myself whether or not I want to make this a good day or a bad day, and that’s how I choose to carry myself for that day. I give this credit to my best friend from middle school, Kate, who helped me to realize just how important your attitude is.

Kate was never a perfect child, but she had a close family and great friends. She never got into too much trouble, just the occasional detentions for being too talkative in class. She was the girl who always had a joke for everything. I remember one day in earth science class way back in sixth grade she got both of us detention when she made fun of our teacher’s new haircut by calling her a t-rex. I guess it seemed funny to us at the time. Anyway, as we grew older we began to grow apart. She started hanging out with the “popular” crowd, the ones who were always getting into trouble. Yet she loved the attention they gave her, and therefore she spent more and more time with them. I noticed she began to change, everything from her clothes to the way she talked to others. I could see her beginning to spiral downward from the innocent little rich girl she was.

By the time she was in high school she was pregnant, her parents had deserted her, and she was left with barely anything. The day she turned 18 she was kicked out of the house and forced to live periodically with the few friends she still had. Yet for some reason after this all happened she was still hopeful. It was the only virtue I still saw in her. Every question I asked her had a positive answer to it. She told me how even though she knew her life was a complete mess, she still believed that every day was a new day and she was going to try to make the most of it. After my visit, I could not stop thinking about what she said.

I immediately related it to my life, and began to realize that I was always complaining about what I had, but compared to Kate I had it easy. Kate had to work for everything she had to support not only herself but her baby girl as well. She was definitely going through tough times and yet she still gave herself hope. It not only made me appreciate everything I usually take for granted, but it inspired me to follow her example and choose to start every day with a clean slate no matter what my situation was.