What I live for…

Matthew - Tampa, Florida

I believe in music.

If there was nothing else that I could live for, nothing else that I could do, nothing else that I could not make, it would whole-heartedly be music. Music is in me to express, it is in to me create it and share it with others and I am blessed to have heard and sang what I have in my lifetime.

I consider music to be a creative expression of people and I respect all types of music although I do not enjoy all types of music. Specifically Rhythm and Blues or R&B for short is where I am always myself. Contemporary, Smooth, or Old School R&B is all the same and I do not distinguish between the different sub-genres of R&B.

In my younger days, before I could even remember how to multiply or how to name the months of the year, I could remember the lyrics to an R&B song after listening to it a few times. Years later when I revisited a song that I have not heard since I was a child I notice that I remember the song just the same, not by the lyrics of the song, but by the vocal expression of the song. This is my connection to R&B and music itself. Whenever I hear that beautiful vocal emotion in a song, my ears grab it and I retain in my spirit and soul. And this can be with any type of music but R&B is where I feel the impact of it the most and that is why I continue to listen to great singers and groups such as Luther Vandross, Boyz II Men, Whitney Houston and many more.

Legendary singers and their songs have impacted my life in more ways than one. Without the uplifting songs of some of these great voices I would not be where I am today and I believe that with a passion. Ask me how many times did Michael Jackson’s, “You Are Not Alone” make me feel like someone was there for me and I cannot give you an answer. Even though Michael Jackson spoke to millions in that song, every time I played the song it would be like he was singing to me individually. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill was on constant replay and was one of the reasons I am pursuing music today.