The Value of Life

Rachel - Dyersville, Iowa
Themes: carpe diem, death

Many people don’t realize how valuable life is. We are only given one awesome life to live and to make it extraordinary. I believe that life is something to be very grateful for. It’s so interesting what can all be thrown at us. Whether it be a bad grade or a bad name. Some people complain at the littlest things such as getting an assignment or having to put their seatbelt on. When people do this it makes me think that they don’t realize how grateful they should be. It really bothers me because of everything going on in the world, all people in our society can think about is a new car or a new pair of jeans. I think everybody needs to be reminded of how lucky we are. I have seen life enter and exit. I was unfortunately present when my friend and neighbor died in a car accident right in front of my own eyes. I felt so ridiculous after that because earlier that day I was outside on the trampoline with my sister as we saw Shawna* leave with her friend. Then, my mom called us up to the front of the house to bring this huge dresser down the hill to our backyard to bring it inside. Both of us were complaining because we just didn’t want to. Just as I was walking up alongside our house I heard and saw a huge crash; as a truck smashed into a car down on the highway next to our house. My other neighbors and I looked at each other and they called 911. That car underneath the truck still haunts me and I remember it like yesterday. Shawna’s* mom came running up to our house and said that Shawna* just left but it probably wasn’t her; she was just a little worried she said. She ran back to her house to try calling her cell phone again. I started crying because we just saw her leave and it was the same color car she left in, but I just didn’t want to believe it. My dad is an EMT that responded and he wouldn’t even talk for the next 2 days, considering she was a family friend and what he had been exposed to. He told me that I could never use that intersection again. Seeing her whole family crying and missing her made me think about how dumb it was to complain about the littlest petty things when you take life for granted. It was a long process and I still think about her constantly when I look back at pictures of our childhood summers spent together. Ever since, I have decided that I would live my life to the fullest. It is very rewarding, and you enjoy doing everything, especially with loved ones. It makes you really value everyone important in your life and respect the unknown. It can be taken in seconds so don’t take it for granted. Make sure you spend the time to stop and smell the roses.