I believe in a Chocolate City

Terence - Rowlett, Texas
Themes: race

No, not the chocolate city that May Ray Nagin was so careless to describe and not the CC (chocolate city) that Parliament Funkadelic made popular in the 70’s. Their chocolate city was a chocolate city of African Americans only.

But this is America. Our chocolate cities are not like any others around the world. A real chocolate city is like the chocolate store where there is a diversity of chocolates for the real chocolate connoisseur. There is dark chocolate, lite chocolate, milk chocolate, Dutch chocolate, Swiss chocolate, German chocolate. Chocolate from all over the world. Africa, the Caribbean, England, Hershey PA and other places not mentioned.

A true chocolate lover loves them all. And that is what America is all about. Our chocolate comes in all colors, textures and sizes.

Around the corner from my office in Dallas, Texas are a few different churches in a neighborhood that consists of Americans of all backgrounds and descent. Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Christians, probably a few atheist, Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Indian and Pakistani. In a 3 block area sits places of worship that are Mosque, Temple, Baptist Church, Jehovah Witness, Mormon, Lutheran, and Protestant. When one services is not in sessions the others share parking. No bombs and no fights.

As a diverse culture we also bring broad ideas and beliefs on how to solve problems. I admit we don’t always get it correct. But in general we do get along. I remember one incident in which I was headed to my first job interview in Kokomo, IN from Champaign, IL. As a young African American I was driving the back roads from Illinois to Indiana when I was pulled over for speeding.

I had always heard that small town IN was no place to be pulled over if you are black. After looking over my student ID and drivers license he began to explained that that stretch of road was notorious for fatal traffic accidents and I was driving way too fast at night. He asked me if I had been drinking and I explained I had very little sleep and was trying to make it to Kokomo for my first job interview before it was too late. He told me to slow down and that I would follow him to the main highway and use the directions he had given me. Just like that! He actually probably saved my life so I think of him often.

But that is America. Our chocolate cities full of diversity and people helping each other to make our country the best in the world. So we do have chocolate cities. I’d even go so far to say we are a chocolate country. So to those soulful rockers from Parliament Funkadelic, here’s to the chocolate country. Right now I think I will go and share some chocolate kisses with my family and would advise the rest of the country to do the same. By the way, Hershey does make the best chocolate kisses.