I Believe in Traveling

Rosa - Hialeah, Florida

I believe in traveling. Traveling allows for a broader view on everything. Imagine the difference of eating from a dish with only one ingredient versus savoring the decadent different aspects of a dish that activates all of one’s taste buds. One who travels greatly differentiates from one who does not. I would love to say that I have traveled across the world, and moreover, across the universe. However, although I have traveled to some extent, I do not consider myself a connoisseur of the world. I am not worldly and I do not comprehend the diversity around the globe, not because I have not traveled enough but because I will never be able to traverse the entire globe; and therefore, I know I can never state that I understand that which I have not encountered. I cannot stand at every point on the globe, and less, the universe. My mind is also limited, for I will never imagine that which is impossible. However, it is not the end result of the fact that I would love to reach every corner of the universe that drives me; it is the attempt and the appreciation of each instant in the process. It is through the process of traveling, both mentally and physically, that I will never live in the future, but instead, the recent past, since now always just passed.

Seeing the world from different perspectives-at different coordinates on the globe adds a 360 degree view of what life really means. We all know life exists on Earth. We do not know if it exists elsewhere, albeit, if one can maximize the knowledge of the little one knows then maybe the opportunity to experience the life we live will exist. Some people travel to get away from reality, contrarily, I travel to realize my reality. Earth is my home, and how is it possible for me to know that I have lived without ever having had a reunion with my habitat.

One can live in the woods and be satisfied, forever, and never yearn for anything further. But when one is capable of imagining that there is something greater than what one knows, a never ending journey slowly begins of seeking that which is a mystery.

Another way of traveling is by means of the mind. Sometimes, it is the only affordable way to all – since it is free! Having experienced moments of isolation from the love of friends and family – the only thing remaining of pleasure was my imagination. It is my mind that kept me sane in the midst of that lonely March 2004 night where I was heatedly running away from my life. It was my mind and imagination that allowed me the creativity to withstand the months to come.

Imagination is the source of creativity. My mind has led me on a tantalizing journey to pursue different adventures. It is by traveling within the mind that one can then materialize travel of the body.

Is it ambition or the biological structure of my mind to insist on contemplation of the unknown? I might never know. My mind wanders into distant places and imagines that which I have never seen. Is it sufficient to travel within the mind or is one’s insatiable journey only satiated by physical means, yet, it will never be filled since it is an infinite journey as the timeline.