The Height of Mount Everest

Kimberly - Bettendorf, Iowa

A jumble of crumpled fabric lies in a pile in the corner of the room. A plethora of colors and textures make up the pile attributing to its unattractiveness. Building and building upon my laziness, the pile evolves into a gigantic mass which threatens to devour the room. In a desperate attempt to prevent embarrassment, I rip apart the pile, sending pieces flying across the room in an inadvertent dissemination.

My family, which is no stranger to laziness, has turned this process into a routine. Our mismatched socks fill three dresser drawers, or more. Most of these socks have remained single for the majority of my lifetime having lost their partners behind couches, in closets and under beds. As a child I remember my grandmother sitting on the floor encircled in socks. Every time she came to visit she would tackle our stuffed drawers and spend an entire day attempting to match them. Her efforts would barely dent the pile, however, and within a week of the sorting the situation would regress to its previous condition. Her experiences and struggles with our elusive socks led me to an uncustomary conclusion: I believe in wearing mismatched socks.

The search for matching socks takes up precious time; time better spent kissing your child or perhaps writing an essay. Take for example the amount of time I spend finding matching socks. I spend at least 5 minutes a day searching for socks. These 5 minutes may not seem like much but they add up very quickly. At this rate I currently spend 1825 minutes a year searching for socks. What a pitiful waste.

In addition to wasting time, the refusal to wear mismatched socks pours money and resources down the drain. For every matchless sock, another pair is bought to replace it. If all the mismatched socks in the world were placed one on top of the other, the chain would span the height of Mount Everest. The money and resources put into the manufacturing of these socks would be much better spent providing clothing to citizens of third-world countries.

The basic purpose of a sock is, after all, to keep a foot warm. So the matching of socks plays no actual role in their purpose. In fact, a blue sock can warm a foot just as well as an orange one. As long as the sock is on the foot it will serve its purpose, regardless of color and texture.

So, I believe in wearing mismatched socks. I believe that red and green can be friends on other days than just Christmas. Frogs can co-exist with cars and stars with princesses. Wear your socks, whatever their ethnicity, and wear them proudly.