Functional Food Vending

Hannah - austin, Texas

It never fails. In between classes I either become hungry or thirsty so I find my way over to the vending machines. I wait in line for roughly 2 minutes holding my wrinkled dollar bill in one hand and unorganized books in the other. I can tell I’m going to run late for my next class, but I don’t care because getting this soda is always worth the wait. I finally get to the front of the line and shove my bill into the machine, but it doesn’t take. And on top of that I’m twenty- five cents short. Kids behind me are getting aggravated, we are obviously going to be late now, and I’m ramming the bill into the receiver. Why doesn’t it take?! My thirst is rapidly taking over all other thoughts and priorities in my head. The bell rings. I stubbornly walk to class late with nothing to show for it but an empty stomach. Why do we still have these machines in our school that aren’t efficient? We need to make the students’ need for food and drinks as easy as possible. We need vending machines in our school that work, and have reasonable prices.

Every time I pass the machines there are always people asking if they can, “get my change”. A dollar twenty five is way too much for a can of soda anyway. If it was sold for about fifty cents each, at the end of your purchase you would be able to also buy food with that drink. Which brings me to my next point; I believe that everything should be no more than fifty cents. Why have small candy bars be the same price as a larger Pop-Tart, which comes two in a package? I believe each item should be the same price. It’s only fair, and cheap. I also wonder how is it that ANYWHERE else I go the prices in vending machines are considerably low compared to Connally’s green sucking contraption. Does the school think we are all just of mindless students who don’t realize what they are doing? Possibly, I think otherwise.

Also to make things less of a hassle, we should have machines that take all sorts of bills and coins. Our machines here at school claim that they take five dollar bills, but they don’t, and it’s only on a good day that they even take my 2008 quarters. The time finding coins consumes valuable passing period time, which in turn causes the performance of the student to decline in that particular class. When a student is late he or she misses important information like updated due dates and announcements. Why does the scholar even need snacks in between classes you might ask? Well, that’s absolutely simple. Let’s just say the food served here in Connally’s cafeteria is not what would be considered “exemplary” or in anywhere close, so students are forced to find their nutrition elsewhere… and VENDING MACHINES seem to be the only option. I stand for machines that are dependable, consistent, and easy to use.