America the Beautiful

Thomas - Eugene, Oregon

I’m not going to lie, I’m a heavy nationalist, and I’m not ashamed of it. I love my country. I love everything about it. From the busy cities, to the heartwarming farms and ranches of the Midwest. From Manhattan, New York right on down to Manhattan, Kansas. From East coast to West, I love it all. In my mind, America is, without any doubt, the best place that has ever existed, and I don’t think I could ever stand living anywhere else.

However, this was not always the case. Amidst Eugene’s (sometimes) extremist liberal atmosphere, I lost my personal views and opinions, something I am not very proud of. I began to strive so hard to fit in with those around me, I made decisions without even thinking. I became an anti-America, for the sole reason that some of those around me did so. I soaked in their beliefs like a sponge. But never once did I actually pause long enough to even think about the country I was beginning to hate. I realized that oftentimes, people concentrate so hard on the bad, they overlook the good.

As I discovered more about my country, I noticed that there was one thing that truly separated America from much of the rest of the world: in America, I have the option to choose what I want, not what some dictator tells me I want. The first amendment allows me to say whatever I want to say. If I wish to, I could speak out against the government, without worry of the consequences. The second amendment gives me the right to choose whether or not I will keep a firearm in my house. No one is telling me that I have to, and likewise, no one is telling me I don’t.

I admit, our country may not be the best politically, but there’s so much more to our country than just one Texan with obnoxiously large ears. So many medical and technological advances have been made here. Both types of the polio vaccine were first discovered here. No other country in the world has done so much in the fight against AIDS. Nearly every major advance of the last half century in the fields of physics, and more specifically, the atomic sciences, have been made here. Because of the United States’ efforts in the nuclear sciences, we now know more about the very building blocks of the universe than was ever imaginable. Even now, the United States government is helping play a key part in the construction of the Large Hadron Collider, a machine that will smash subatomic particles together at velocities that are very near the speed of light.

Lastly, there is no other place where you can find such a wide, diverse variety of cultures, each unique in its own special ways. Even in my own high school, I am frequently fascinated by how many different cultures there are. It astounds me that everyone can manage to find a place where they fit.

I know that I would give my life for the country I love in an instant, all because America is indeed the most amazing and opportunistic place anyone could ever wish to live. This I believe.