i believe in music

Brandon - sykesville, Maryland

Brandon K

Ms Bruce

H. Survey

There are many things one can believe in, and more often that not, there are many people many, many people who strongly disagree. But I believe in music, and its spectacular ability to change someone’s mood in a heartbeat. One of the few things that noone can disagree with. One might not be very fond of a particular style of music. But there is always at least one type that manages to speak to them, touch them, move them, or even groove them. I believe in music for any number of abstract, or concrete reasons. Everyone likes music for any number of a quintillion reasons. Some intellectually inclined people like to think of music as a sort of universal language, that can express feelings and ideas to billions of people. Just because one person felt them at one point, and put them not only on paper, but into an undefined form of communication that all can comprehend. Then, other less sophisticated people look at music as something to fill empty air on a car ride, or keep then distracted from how long they’ve spent in the waiting room, or on homework. These are all perfectly acceptable reasons to like music. Music can also change someone’s mood at the push of the “play” button.

I have experienced just this on many occasions. One that comes instance that comes to mind was just last weekend. I had just gotten home from an extremely long, and frustrating day of physical labor in the back of Pizza Hut. I had been bossed around, and received the bad moods from everyone else above me, and needless to say. I was supremely unhappy. I went straight into my room and laid down on my bed, and turned my Ipod on shuffle, hoping that by luck of the draw, I would be graced with something that would make the slightest difference. As I had wished, before I knew it I was being sucked into tears in heaven, by Eric Clapton. Every time I hear this song I can do nothing but think of all the agony Eric must be feeling. Because that particular song was written when his 3 year old son accidentally crawled out of his 47th story apartment window in New York City. This song immediately caused me to realize that me having to deal with the poor attitudes of a few co-workers is no reason to be in a bad mood. Especially when im listening directly to the feelings of a father who had just lost his only child. Just from this event, one can tell that just one song can change someone’s outlook on a situation, their mood after a day of work, or their view on life as a whole. For these reasons, I believe in the mystical powers of music, and all of its strange abilities.