Life in the Fast Lane

Nick - Gilbert, South Carolina

For millions of Americans every day is the same. We curse the alarm clock, take a quick shower, and grab a quick bite on the way out the door. Some of us are headed to school and others to work, but all of us move with the same monotonous tenacity that comes from years of practice. The clock tick tick ticks away the seconds, lording over us with the ruthless efficiency of a tyrannical monarch. With almost paganistic fervor we pray to that ticking idol, asking it to release us from our bondage. When our time of liberation finally comes we tread the familiar road to our next destination. Some are headed from school to work and others from work to school. Still others are headed home where the only salvation is a dinner that must be cooked, clothes that must be washed, and a house that must be cleaned.

As we struggle to deal with the hand that fate has dealt us it becomes all too easy to get lost in the shuffle. Life takes us in its vampiric embrace and siphons away our spirit, leaving us with eyes that no longer see and ears that no longer listen. We become jaded to the wonders that await us at every turn. We see the sun setting in the western sky, painting a tapestry of golds and purples that no human hand could ever hope to match, and we deny its majesty. We see the stars twinkling in the night sky and we denounce their beauty. It is the youngest of us who wield the greatest power. Children see with eyes that find light in the darkest of places. Children find solace in the simple pleasures that life so graciously places before us.

I believe that there is an escape from this hectic ordeal that we submit ourselves to each and every day. To find happiness we need only to look for it. There is power to be found in the sunset that we take for granted and in the stars that we no longer have time gaze upon with that childlike wonder. I believe that the key to finding true happiness is as simple as slowing down the sprinter’s pace we have set for ourselves. When we live too fast we tend to miss the little wonders in life, those simple pleasures that brought us such joy in our childhood. To see as the child sees is to hold the world in our hands. This I truly believe.