Motherhood is the best ift women can have

Elizabeth - The Woodlands, Texas
Themes: birth, parenthood

I believe in the beauty of motherhood as the best gift women can have. Many times I have heard “Enjoy yourself now, your life is going to change when you have kids.” I have to say that it really did. Sixteen months ago, my husband and I were excited with the idea of raising a family. In fact, we were hoping for a baby. I still remember that day as if it were yesterday, the day we went to the pharmacy to buy a pregnancy test. It was Saturday at 8pm when I entered the bathroom and saw the test which showed me a definitive pink cross. Yes, I was pregnant!

My first appointment with my gynecologist was on January 4th . That day was one of the most important days of my life. I watched and heard my tiny baby for the first time. Of course, I could not stop my tears. That beautiful little life was there, inside of me, growing and depending on me. That day I knew that this baby would be my responsibility for the rest of my life.

During the forth month of my pregnancy, I found out that my baby was a boy. On the one hand, while I was watching him through the monitor and hearing the beats of his little heart, I knew what I had to do from that moment. I had to take care of him, feed him and teach him the values in life in order to be a good person. On the other hand, I experienced a feeling of doubt. I wondered if I would be a good mother, if I would be capable of teaching my son the values of life and if I was prepared to handle being a mom. But I recalled a friend’s saying “you are not born knowing how to be a parent. Instead you learn how to be a good one.” Years later, I understood what he meant.

Learning defined my life during the following days and months. In fact, I started to change not only my body but also my habits. For instance, things that I liked before, I did not like anymore or vice versa. My belly was growing and little by little I felt bubbles moving in it. Then the bubbles became movements that were visible forms of elbows and knees. The most incredible feeling was during the eighth month when I felt my son having hiccups twice a day.

My due date was August 17,th but Nicolas was ready to meet his parents before that. Willing to know this new world, on July 30th 2007 at 9:13am my little angel was born. Fortunately my labor and delivery were smooth. I do not have words to explain what I felt when I saw my baby boy, his little hand holding mine, his baby smell, his big eyes, and his soft crying made me feel like the most fortunate woman in the universe.

I have to say that the following days were pure learning. Recalling what many people had said to me before “your life is going to change.” Yes, I’ve got to say it really has changed, but I chose this new life, being a mom, learning every day, doing things that I’ve never done before, teaching Nicolas what is good and what is wrong in life. I know that this is just the beginning of a long journey that I will enjoy.

Pregnancy and delivery are the most beautiful experiences that we as women can have. Giving life is a projection of us and motherhood is the best gift that we have in life. This I believe.