A Day in the Lunch Line

Andrew - Hialeah, Florida

I believe in being nice to everyone you meet, no matter who they are or what their going through at that moment, everyone should be nice to each other. Being nice to others may be the token to success in your life. Having the spirit and force to just saying a simple I’m sorry or no problem to a stranger may change the appearance that person has for you.

As a child I was brought up as well mannered person, but I had this little part of my life were not everybody around me wanted to be nice to each other. Throughout this part of my life there were many changes going through my body, such as puberty, maturity, and many more. Going to a bilingual school and obtaining some of the best multi language education I can receive, still came with one of the hardest challenges I’ve had to face in my life, which was being nice to my peers.

The school was called Center for Modern Language and it was located in a not so good environment. The area had its local violence which wasn’t very pleasant for my eyes or anybody else’s. The elementary school was linked to a sister middle school which still was known for its multi lingual environment, but was also known for the bad behavior its students had.

It was my first year in middle school and I still knew most of my friends which transferred from my elementary school to the middle school next door, which wasn’t bad for me. One day during the middle of my sixth grade school year, I was in the cafeteria waiting in line to get my food when these group of eight graders decided to skip my friends and I in order to avoid waiting in line to get there food. As a regular person would do I quickly said to the group of guys, “Hey what are you doing,” and they turned and told me “To shut up this is my line.”

As a scrawny little sixth grader I decided to stay quite and be a nice person and allow them to skip ahead of us in the line. Later on that week I was getting on my designated bus to go home, when I came across a certain problem that there was only one seat left on the bus. That last seat was located all the way in the back of the bus which contained one of the guys that skipped me in the lunch line earlier that week. I felt frightened of going back there and seating down on that seat, so I decided to sit next to some of my friends which already had two people sitting on that seat.

After I was stuck uncomfortably sitting in a seat with three people sitting on it which only designed to seat two, I thought to myself nothing else could go wrong here. The bus was not moving at all and the bus driver was sitting in her chair looking directly to the back of the bus and said “Sweaty you’re going to have to find another seat because three people cannot sit in one seat.” Now I told myself oh man this is going to be bad because now I was forced to sit all the way in the back of the bus. I ended up going all the way to the back and sitting next to one of the guys that skipped me in the cafeteria line. As I sat down and the bus driver finally decided to leave the school the unexpected occurred in my life.

The kid next to me said to me said, “I’m sorry”. I looked over at him with my eyes wide open and told him “For what,” and he was like, “For what my friends and I did to you in the cafeteria.” I was thinking to myself at this time why would he even think about saying sorry to me. After that he told his name was Albert and told me how something like that had happened to him as well when he was a sixth grader. The only difference between Albert’s experience and mine was that Albert’s story ended being that the bully who treated him wrong ended needing Albert’s help after all. As a token of his Albert’s gratitude, he helped the bully out, but made a deal with the bully which was to be a better person to his peers.

After hearing Albert’s story I came to realize that in life people could be cruel to one another, but those individuals usually don’t have a really good life. The individuals who have a good life are those who treat everybody with the respect they would like to receive back from every person they meet in their lifetime.