I believe in Snowboarding

Derek - Idaho Falls, Idaho
Themes: nature, sports

I believe in snowboarding. Cold weather with light snow is all I see around me. Friends are constantly sending me text messages with snow reports from the local ski resort. Anticipation amounts as my boss hands me my over due and under paid check. First priority is to fill up the Jeep with the highly priced liquid gold. Second priority is to pick up the boys and get ready to hit the slopes.

The smell of wax lingers in the garage as 2 of my friends and I begin waxing our very important riding tool. Laughter is heard in the distant as old snowboarding movies begin to role and memories begin to gather in our minds. 1 o’clock, 2 o’clock, the time keeps going by as thoughts of the upcoming day approaches.

The alarm clock buzzes as we all jump to a stand and hurry to the kitchen for some cold cereal. We grab the necessary equipment throw in into the Jeep and off we go. The roads are slick and visibility is low. Music can be heard by the passing cars as the sub woofer hits the side of the doors and makes an annoying buzzing sound.

As we begin the ascent up to the mountain the mood changes and we become very calm. The music is turned down and we prepare ourselves for the adventure ahead. As we park the smell of distant cigarettes lingers in the air. My buddies and I run up a flight of stairs to get in to line for the long anticipated ride up the chair lift. As we approach we flash our season passes at the hairy faced employee who wishes us luck. I can hear the gentle humming of the lift as the chair swings around to pick us up. Once seated on the lift we begin our ascent up the 2000 ft climb to the top. The wind id brisk and light snow becomes heavier as we reach the wind driven top. Visibility becomes nearly impossible but the urge to ride overcomes us and we become like raging bulls ready to take off.

The sound of the freshly waxed snowboard hitting the cold tundra below makes the blood boil in my veins. Sounds of laughter and singing are heard in the distance as the enjoyment of the fresh snow pleases the souls of many. We rip down the hill like kamikazes quickly looking for the next stash of powder. I believe in Snowboarding, I believe in the freedom, the fun and the friends.