Ever Second Count

Shanel - North Berwick, Maine
Themes: death, hope, humanism

Shanel Libby

Day 2 Block 2

This I Believe…

When my great grand-mother died on Halloween last year, I thought to myself about her and if she lived her life like she wanted, was she happy with what she had done in her life? Was she proud or disappointed with the way her life played out? Was there a time in he life when she wishes that she could go back and change something? An did she accomplish dreams that she had once dreamed about? What ever the answer to those are, I just hope she was happy.

Then I wondered will people remember me for the good things not the bad? I believe that you should live life to the fullest, and make every second count. My great grand-mothers death was what sparked the idea that no one is here for ever and that you should do what you want with life.

While I was thinking about those few things I also thought about how you get one chance to do what you want. That made me think about my life and if I have passed up an opportunity that would have altered my life completly. I could think of a few times, but that’s not what I’m trying to get at.

About two years ago in December I lost one of my closest friends, I had known her from when my mom babysat her. Her name was Courtney; she was only 15 years old. I hadn’t seen her in about two or three years and I was talking to her online one night; about a week before the crash, and these were her exact words “well I should get going soon dinners on…ILY Shanel… ttyl and remember don’t change who you are for anyone, hope to se you soon…love ya lots Court” Those words kept replaying in my head the whole time at the wake, its almost as though she knew she was leaving. I don’t know what she had in store for her life, if she was proud of who she had become, but I believe that Courtney lived her day as if it were her last. She would always talk about what she wanted to be who her hero’s were, and she just seem as though she knew what she wanted. She never go to accomplish them.

I know not all of you believe what I am saying but sit back and really think about who you are and what people will remember you for, are you happy with that? I know that I now live my life to the fullest, living each day as if it were my last. No one knows when there time will come. I am proud of the person I am today.

I live my days as if they are my last by being me and taking chances. Like when I was little I took dance because I loved doing it and I wanted to be me. When I was in 1st or 2nd grade I played softball. Even though I did really well I quit, most were disappointed in me but softball just wasn’t me. I have just recently started Taekwondo because I have always wanted to, but was held back from what I wanted to do, because I wasn’t living the way I wanted and letting people effect my decision. But now my uncle is the instructor and I know have my belief of living life to the fullest and I’m not letting people hold me back from it. I am also a singer and love singing more than anything.

I am a friend, a daughter and a granddaughter, an I believe everyone should live there life to the fullest and live each day as if it were your last.