The Power of One

Laurenq - Quartz Hill, California

Most people in the world today think that women who don’t have a job in the community have no influence in society. These people probably have not met my mother. Some might call my mother an “old fashioned, stay at home mom.” She never went to work out in the world after she had children, but she is one of the most influential people in my life, even as a college student. Growing up my mother was there every morning to help make our lunches, get us out the door in time to run to catch the bus, and ready to greet us when we get home from school to ask us what we learned there. She is a banker, a cook, a chauffeur, a doctor, a plumber, a decorator, a cleaner, a therapist, a cheerleader, a teacher: a mom.

Because of this one extraordinary woman, there are four good people going to some of the most prestigious schools in America trying to be a light to the world. We are healthy, strong, and want to influence society for the better because our parents taught us what’s right. It is funny to think that someone who is usually so overlooked by so many people could have such an impact in society by just doing her best at what she is called to do. Through kids, grand kids, great grand kids, and so on she will have affected millions of lives.

This makes me wonder how much we overlook the power of one. Sometimes we feel that we are worthless. We feel that there is really no point in being out in the world, or nothing too dramatic comes from our existence. On the other hand, every day we make decisions that impact our lives as well as the lives of those around us. Through our actions we can change the way people think, the way people feel, and the way people treat each other. When we smile, we spread sunshine into the lives of others- into the world.

When we do our best we encourage the people around us to be better also. With every choice that we make there is a consequence. By making correct choices our consequences are good and put out beauty and strength into society. Through work, friends, family, and acquaintances, our correct choices influence the world. By doing our best we are a power: the power of one.