Friendship and Fortieth Birthday Wishes

Karen - Washington, District of Columbia

This I believe…when asked by a friend to do something creative for her upcoming fortieth birthday I chose to do an essay for NPR’s This I believe. I thought this would be an easy thing to do and I wanted to write something profound and exciting to commemorate the fortieth anniversary of leaving her mother’s womb. But it really isn’t as easy as it seems. I believe a lot about a lot of things and finding that one belief, that one significant statement that would not only resonate with myself but with my friend was a huge challenge. Here is what I believe…

I believe that when someone cares for an individual there rarely is a second thought about doing something for that person. I believe in the value of our friendship, though we may not see each other regularly or speak daily there is a comfort in knowing that I have her as a friend. I met this friend through a mutual friend and as those situations can go you either connect or you don’t.

Since I have known her we have bonded and our friendship has blossomed into many other friendships all interconnected and very unique. Each one of us brings something different and exciting to our group and my friend seems to be the glue that holds us together. I believe what she brings is a warmth and compassion for life, another friend brings a personality so bright and full of life we all feel her presence, and another has the maternal nature that is soothing in times of need.

Our friendship has taught me that our lives can be busy and time can fly by but our friendship will still be there no matter what. It has taught me to not take for granted the little things; I believe that I am very fortunate to have her as a friend. And I believe we are all fortunate to have our lives cross, intertwine, intersect or collide. Our camaraderie and mutual trust has allowed us to console, laugh, love and have closeness like family. We have expanded our group of friends and at times it seems like it could not get any bigger, but at the core we have each other.