I Believe in Older Brothers

Kendall - Idaho Falls, Idaho

High School was the beginning of my attraction to the opposite sex, and my brother was not comfortable with that. On one occasion, a boy named Rob asked me out on a date. He may have been considered a little rough around the edges with his untamed sideburns, baggy jeans, and arrogant attitude. In my eyes, the good outweighed the bad; Rob had a strong jaw line, chiseled abs, and dreamy blue eyes. I agreed to accompany him, but decided it would be better if my brother didn’t hear about it.

When Rob came to pick me up the next night he told me that we would be going to the drive-in. I asked him whom we were meeting there, and he gave me a puzzled look. “It’s just gonna be me and you baby,” he announced. My stomach flipped as I responded with a hesitant, “oh…ok”. The entire night Rob was attempting to rub my leg and caress my back; this was not okay for a first date. My standards were set higher than that and I commanded that he take me home. When I dashed into the front door my brother Jordan was sitting there and immediately knew something was wrong. I relayed everything that had happened that night to his ears. I could see his face getting hot as I neared the end of my dramatic story.

As I entered the heavy doors of my High School the next day, I noticed several people staring at me. My best friend, Hailey, rushed up to me, and informed me of the terrible rumor Rob had spread. Tears began to well up in my eyes and my hands started to shake with anger. At this time, Jordan passed me in the hall and noticed my discomfort. He quickly pulled me aside and I told him how Rob had been misinforming people about what actually happened between us that evening. I have never seen my brother so infuriated before. Jordan gave me a hug and said, “Get to class; I will take care of this.”

By second period, the atmosphere had already begun to change. Not all eyes were penetrating my skin. My peers smiled and no longer grasped onto the rumor they had heard earlier. I had my friends’ respect back. I didn’t find out exactly how he did it, but Jordan took care of things. I was not judged by my peers and Rob never bothered me.

I will always be grateful for my older brother; for the many pickles he has fixed, and for his endless comfort. Jordan may be 6 foot 4 inches and built like a tank, but on the inside, he is just one big teddy bear. I feel a sense of security as I go through my everyday life because I believe in my older brother and his loving protection.