I believe in being a Nerd!

Chika - Austin, Texas

I believe in being a Nerd.

Yes, I said it, a Nerd! The common misconception about nerds is that we are a four-eyed, suspender- wearing, Urkel- looking type of people. And, that all we do is take Advanced Placement classes, watch the Discovery Channel and carry a pocket calculator. In very few cases, it is true and those who proudly express the typical Nerd persona, then the power to them! However, it is a fact that many of us choose to be an undercover nerd. Description: “An undercover nerd is a person that secretly possesses the ability to take the time to study, ask questions after class, does not share their grade unless they failed, and actually surreptitiously kind of sort of, enjoy learning. Many can relate themselves of being an undercover nerd, mainly in people that feel that their cliques will not allow them to be. Whatever the case….

Personally, I really do not care.

I find myself asking questions all the time, wearing glasses and contacts because I have bad eye sight, taking Advanced Placement classes and tests so the cost of college will not strain my parents, using a calculator because I am not Einstein, studying so I can graduate. In addition to, reading a book from time to time and actually benefit from learning something new each day whether it’s in school or in life’s little problems.

I believe in working hard to achieve a higher education.

I believe in setting high standards in every job, game and any future endeavor I will come across.

I believe to choose when it is time to party and the time to hit the books.

I believe in knowing that each frustrated moment will get me one step closer to my goals.

I believe that a book will get you further than a basketball unless you are Michael Jordan or Larry Bird.

I believe in being the first African- American woman to create something that will change the world.

I believe in being a major C.E.O of three separate world institutions.

I believe in receiving prestigious awards such as an engineering of the year, the Academy Award, Coretta Scott King award, a Tony, a Grammy, my face plastered on Time magazine and a Nobel Peace prize.

More or less, the only force that can stop me from becoming and accomplishing all of this, is myself.

And I believe in a quote said by B.B King, “The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.”

This is why I believe in being a nerd.