Things Always get Better

Caitlin - San Jose, California

Caitlin Halverson

I believe things always get better. There’s been many times in my life where I’ve felt like I’ve hit rock bottom and wanted to give up on myself. I’ve felt like things couldn’t get any worse, yet miraculously they somehow did. It takes time though for things to turn around and make sense again, a difficult lesson I’ve learned just recently.

About two months ago my boyfriend Michael and I broke up. We’ve broken up several times before, however this time it was different. Chaos broke loose and hurtful words were exchanged. I won’t get into much detail, but let’s just say this was by far the worst fight we’ve ever had. I left the house, running for my friends’ car in tears. I was out all night talking to her about what had just happened. I’ve never been so hurt in my life before. As the days went by, I would text message Michael, asking if we could talk. He wouldn’t respond. Eventually I gave up on trying to get in touch with him. I was miserable at school. I felt so lost. I wasn’t doing well in any of my classes. My friends didn’t understand what was going on because I didn’t want to mention it. I had problems going on at home and it felt like everyone and everything was out to get me. This was by far the worst time of my life. About two weeks later Michael texted me saying he missed me more than anything. He ended up coming over that night and we hung out for a few hours. Being with him again felt so right. From there on everything just fell into place.

After that experience, I’ve realized that not everything works out right away or the way I would like it to. During this hardship of mine my dad told me something I will never forget. He said, “The Grand Plan doesn’t run on a convenient time table. That’s where faith comes in. You have to believe that things will work out for you. Consider this a time of your faith being tested.” No doubt in my mind, I believe he’s right. I’m a very impatient individual. I like things to get done right away, however, life doesn’t always agree with me. So whenever I’m back in the dirt, I remind myself that time heals and things will always get better.