Hard Work Pays Off

Rachel - Lindon, Utah
Themes: sports, work

Salty liquid dripped down my exhausted red face. My heart was thumping so intensely I thought it might jump out of my chest. My legs weighed two tons each as I slowly but consistently moved them back and forth. My eyes focused on the gleaming ice cold water bottle that was dripping with glorious streaks of wet goodness. Oh how I wanted to grab that water bottle a chug every last drop. A sudden energy boost shot its way through my body and I felt weightless. I finished my run that day with every last fiber of energy left in my body. I am a firm believer in physical activity. Participating in physical activity helps me in many aspects of my life.

Throughout my life my family and I have been involved with all sorts of dance and sports; Needless to say we were an active family. As my family grew older our schedules and lives took off at full force. I am saddened to say that participating in physical activity was the last thing on my mind at this point in my life. I realized as my physical activity decreased my days were longer, my appetite grew, laziness was more convenient, and I developed an attitude towards being physically active.

I was sitting home on a perfectly pleasant day in July. The sun was bright, the air clean, and clouds were not insight. It was the perfect day to run, swim, jump, or even just share a laugh in the suns gloriousness. However I thought it would be much more fun to sit on the couch and devour chocolate. As I started my third hour of complete laziness, my older sister came jogging into the house and stopped and stared as soon as she saw me wasting my life away. Her eyes glazed over in utter disbelief; they filled with tears and her mouth dropped to the floor. She could not believe what she was seeing. She saw me in a different light that day; she saw me wasting my life away in front of a television eating seemingly endless amounts of chocolate. She had always known me as a very physically active girl and now she was in awe that I had drifted so far from being physically active. From that moment on I knew I had to change my lifestyle habits. I knew I needed to change for my physical, mental, and spiritual well-being.

I soon realized that I had a passion for running. Every time my jittery foot hits the pavement an adrenaline rush swims through my blood. That summer day I made a vow to myself to be grateful for the healthy body I have. I need to live life to the fullest and take care of myself. I will be the first to admit that working out is not the most fun thing in the world to do, but the benefits of being physically active outweigh every negative thought I have ever had about physical activity.