My Greatest Happiness

Kaylene - Soldotna, Alaska

I believe in family. I believe in spending time with my family because it brings us closer together, and I find I develop greater love for them as the years pass. When I was eleven years old, one of my good friends lost her brother. Ben had just turned eight years old, and he was riding his new bike in the street when he was hit by a car. The woman who hit him was driving herself to the hospital because she was in labor. It’s hard to imagine how I would feel losing a member of my family, and the empathy I feel for others who have.

There is something special about always having someone there to depend upon whether it’s a brother, a sister or a friend. When I moved away from home, everything was new and different. It is a hard change from living with people who love and respect you to being on your own. It was such a relief to finally come back home. There’s a feeling of safety when you are home and to me, home is wherever my family is. College can be very difficult and very stressful. Everyone goes through trials. If I can just call and talk to my sweet mom always kind and encouraging, my hilarious father who loves to tease me, Jared, Lydia, or Taylor who are all crazy, I feel happy; if even for just that one moment.

I didn’t pick the family I was put into, and they certainly aren’t perfect; no one is. I’m kind of required to love them and they’re required to love me, despite our differences or disagreements. Family is constant. I can always depend upon them being there for me in times of trial or difficulty. It’s funny how it sometimes takes being separated from them before I realize how much I care for them and how much they mean. I end up missing their funny quirks’, like Lydia’s hyper voice or how Taylor can “caw” like an eagle in a really high pitched voice, without even realizing it. I love family dinners. It has always been an important part in my life. I was completely surprised in Elementary School to find out that Amy, Jenny or even Erin didn’t have dinner with their family. I love how everyone gets together and we talk over a meal. The conversation doesn’t have to be relevantly important; mostly we talk about our day and each other. Lots of laughter is involved and everyone feels loved and included.

Even though sometimes my family will drive me crazy, I love them to death. I would do anything for them, as they would me. That’s what makes it so special.