Katie - Blackfoot, Idaho

I believe in punctuality.

When I was eight years old, I entered an old brown building containing Paunie’s School of Dance. My teacher, Paunie, was the same age of my grandfather and just as kind. Like most grandparents she loved to share stories, especially of her days in dance class. She was taught at a very young age that if she was late she would not be allowed to dance that day in class. She decided to also encourage and enforce the value of punctuality to all of us in the class, by starting class exactly on time and thanking those who were on time.

Even my high school valued promptness. At Snake River High School, we started exactly at 8:10 a.m. and we would be given a tardy slip anytime we were late. After three tardies we were required to do an hour of detention after school, which kept us from doing the more important things we wanted to do, like finish homework, hang out with friends, or attend extracurricular activities.

However, Mrs. Casperson, my choir teacher, was the most influential figure in my life in installing in me the importance of being prompt. Many times for upcoming concerts we would have early morning or after school practices. To make our practices more productive, she told us to be right on time so we could start and accomplish our work in the limited time we had. Many of the members in my choir still were late so she graded us according to the when we showed up to practice. When many tried to argue the point, and she explained that being late was disrespectful to those who were on time and to her, resulting in wasted time in waiting for other members of the choir to show up, instead of practicing.

In college life today, I am still encouraged to practice the value of promptness. About 86% of my classes take attendance and I am graded on it. Even being tardy to class can bring my grade in the class down, thus I have to be on time to be able to pass my classes. When I am late to a class it takes me quite a while to understand what is happening and sometimes I miss important announcements and instructions that I would have received if I was on time.

I believe that being punctual has taught me that there is less stress in life when I am on time and keeps me from worrying about the little things that can happen by not being on time. I receive a better idea of what is happening and I don’t end up missing out on important information. Punctuality has helped my life be easier.