Cinthya - Orem, Utah
Themes: integrity

I believe honesty is the best working policy. Since the first day I started working in my first summer job, I had to wait in my assigned sit for the supervisor to get to work. I got a paper on how to offer good customer service, but no training. The supervisor finally arrived to work and turned the phones system on.

As almost every small business online, this one in particular had a customer service line. They had an advertising website that sold “software” to assist individuals on how to obtain federal grants.

“I didn’t authorize anyone to charge my card monthly!” was the typical line on mostly every call. Customers were irate because they had been charged for a fee they were not aware of. While opening accounts, people had been charged from up to one month to a shocking two years, as they said, those were unauthorized charges.

Customers informed they only ordered a $2.95 CD online to get information about federal grants. As I went up to my supervisor’s desk to get help for customer’s unanswered questions, she said: “You don’t need to tell them the truth all the time” I was stunned.

I felt awful for the unfortunate customers; they weren’t aware about the consequences of purchasing the “software.” $2.45 was charged to their bank card, all the numbers and names were entered in the system, after their ten days trial, they were automatically charged to keep accessing all the hard-to-understand information on how to obtain a federal grant.

I needed to do something about it. As a result I went to their advertising page, I noticed they didn’t have any information about the fee, but an extremely small fine print on the bottom that said: “Prior to payment, you will receive further information about your purchase via email.”

The most outrageous answer I was told to give to customers was that if they wanted a refund for fees past 30 days, they would have to send a letter to a random address. I was never given a corporate phone number or the name of the company’s CEO.

I didn’t dare to come back after my lunch break, I felt bad because I knew that if I would have gone back I was going to lie again.

When I arrived home, I went to the Better Business Burial website and reported the company for fraudulent charges to their customers. After sending the report, I went to the claims main page and unsurprisingly there were more than 100 pages of complaints from other individuals.

After a few months I found out from a friend I used to work with that the website got shut down.

I believe that being honest in all things will bring everyone great blessings, and will allow every person to progress in all aspects of life.