The Power of Laughter

Derek - Henderson, Nevada

When I was young I would find myself trying to grow up, trying to do more and accomplish more. I thought that I needed to act dignified at all times and that laughter would make me appear as a mere child. I just wanted to grow up and I felt like the world was begging me to grow up too. Then in my early teens I met David. He would totally change my perspective.

He was skinny, blue eyed and blond haired—the typical teenager but with the power to make anyone laugh. I would laugh until my belly would hurt at his outrageous jokes. He would walk into any room and move around like his body had electricity surging through it. Finger whipping as he got really excited, and would shout out each persons name at the top of his lungs to show his excitement to see them. He would act goofy and his laugh was infectious. Truly bringing laughter to everyone.

I noticed his ability to make friends. He could connect to people very fast and help them feel comfortable and easy. People could be at ease around him and would flock to him to relax. I started to notice the light he would bring into peoples lives by bringing this positive energy. It was like a match had been lit in a dark room. I could always see rays of joy spray forward across people’s faces as he entered the room. He could communicate so well with others because they felt and experienced the joy and love he had for them.

I remember a day when everything seemed to be going wrong at school. I had bombed a test, homework was pilling up like snow in the wintertime and I had not slept very much for a couple of days. I felt like the world was a disaster and I just wanted to dig a hole and hide in the dark. Nothing could make me happy. Then I ran into him; he came up to me with his wide grin and told me this story that made me crack up. Just like when someone tickles you and you try to hold it in but you finally burst. I can remember laughing today while the story has faded away in time. All the negative feelings about how terrible my small little world disappeared. Life was great, like the sunrise after a great and terrible storm, where the colors begin to come out again. And everything seemed so fresh and alive. I just wanted to smile again.

I believe in laughter now and try to incorporate it in my life. Laughter has killed the stress in my life; I find that laughing at my own self and the little mistakes that I make liven up my life. I believe it helps me and strengthens those around me just as my friend strengthened me. By bringing light back into a dark world.