Fighting For What I Want

Jessica - Rexburg, Idaho

Fighting For What You Want

When I was younger my mother told me that it was bad to throw temper tantrums, but I never believed her, even though she never let me have my way if I did throw a tantrum. I have spent a lot of time and energy figuring out different ways to get what I want. I believe in fighting for what you want.

In my mind, I can see my brothers sitting on top of me, letting spit hang from their mouths over my head, then sucking it back in right before it drips on me. I have got to stand up for myself. So I did! I wrapped my leg around one of my brothers’ tummy and pushed him over. The next time one of them tried to spit-torture me I would lift me leg and pretend to kick and push them, then they would stop. I figured out how to get them to do what I wanted.

When I was in high school my teachers would set silly, stupid rules, like no gum in class. I asked them why they had that rule and they would say that at the end of each semester they would have a “lovely collections of gum underneath the desks.” Then I would persuade them to let our class chew gum if we promised not to stick the old soggy chewed pieces under the desks. I love chewing gum and could not let a rule stand in my way.

I got my first real job when I was sixteen and loved it but my managers told me that I would have to work one to two Sundays a month. I don’t like to work Sundays, because I believe that Sunday should be a day of rest and worship, so I talked to my manager and told him that I would have to quit if I had to work on Sundays. He said that he would see what he could do and I never had to work on Sunday while he was there.

Even though the tantrums didn’t work for my mom I know that it worked well with my babysitters. I’ll just have to keep looking for what works on my mother. I know that not everyone fights for what they want and that they just let people push them around, but I believe that I should stand up for myself and I fight for what I want.