Franklin - 67110, Kansas
Themes: children, hope

I remember the day vividly when my eyes were opened, and I could see goodness of human nature. The sun was bright and there was a faint breeze. My day had been dark and grim; and it seemed as though the weight of the world was on my shoulders. The faces passing me were unfamiliar and unfriendly. Then all of a sudden like a blessing from heaven my heart was touched. A young girl around the age of four changed my whole perspective on life.

Standing there I saw her approach me, curious as to her desire I stood still until she reached me so she could ask me for whatever it was she was going ask for. Behind the stains of dirt on her face there was a smile that stretched from ear to ear. I remember thinking how innocent and beautiful she looked. After a brief pause I squatted down so we could see each other face to face. Then all she said was “Hello.” Before I could get a chance to ask her name her mother had called for her; in the midst of the crowd I lost sight. She walked up to me on that seemingly grey day and made the sun come out.

I had realized why my day was dark and full of depression. I had forgotten what it meant to love everyone. The faces that passed before I despised. Now all I cared for was their welfare. This little girl taught me more in ten seconds than any other institution could have taught me in a lifetime.

Our world, seemingly ravaged by hate and deceit, has more beauty and love than we can sometimes imagine. Call me naïve, but I believe in human kind. Each and everyone is designed with innate ability to seek happiness. For a while I forgot what truly made me happy. I was too busy pointing out the things in the world around me that made me unhappy: rudeness, war, abuse, poverty, and so on and so on. In the mean time ignoring the true beauties of the world that could have brightened my day.

Often now when I am depressed or lonely and wishing there would be some way to escape this cruel world. I think back to when that young girl touched my heart it may not make my day any better but it always puts a smile on my face. To this day I still have no idea who this girl is or even what her name is. But she has helped me in a way few people ever have or will. One day I wish to see her again and just say “Thank you.”