The Rewards of Hard Work

Brittany - Malad, Idaho
Themes: pleasure, work

I believe in working hard and playing hard. Growing up on my family farm, I learned at an early age what work was. Many of my childhood memories take place working alongside my three brothers and my dad on the ranch. That is where I discovered that there is a time and place for everything. When I was at work I was there to work, but once the job was done, then it was time to play.

After I entered high school I found myself drowned with activities such as athletics, student government, and the Youth Coalition to name a few. I loved being involved in my school; therefore, I was always planning something more to do to get the best experience I could out of those crucial years. With my goals of making the varsity athletic teams as a freshman, being president of my class, joining service organizations, and eventually becoming valedictorian, I had to learn how to manage my time in order to get it all done, without it taking too much of a toll on my social life.

I learned quickly how to get projects done efficiently so I had the time I needed to play hard, as a teenager should, along with accomplishing my goals. One occurrence sticks out in my mind of when I really learned the importance of working hard and the reward that comes with it. I remember when I was helping with the designing of the school yearbook. There were about 30 students on the council, and we had to devise an outline and execute it within six months, so it would be ready in time for the end of the year. Besides the assigned class time we had set aside to work on the book I found myself and others going to school early and staying late in order to achieve our objective. Not only did we have to design the pages on the computer, but we were also in charge of taking and transferring pictures, and writing text to go along with the photographs. Our class worked extremely hard for six months. The day we finally turned in the finished product everyone felt great relief from their huge responsibilities. After many months of grueling work, it was at last our time to play. We had a big party where pizza was served and games were played the next time we met in class. When we passed out our finished products at the end of the year and everyone in our school was utterly grateful for our efforts! That was the reward I received from my hard work, and I was able to enjoy the yearbook along with everyone else. I believe that my understanding of both hard work and making time for play has shaped the optimistic outlook I have on life. I create time for both of those aspects in my life now, and I intend on continuing to do so.