The Turtle and the Rabbit

Timothy - Austin, Texas
Themes: work

Every year, I hear about students going to college or failing out of high school. Some go on to ivy leagues while others apply for full-time jobs at McDonalds. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with that. I feel that the only difference in the ability of these people is their conviction for hard work and perseverance. With new technologies and inventions being created everyday, people simply forget the quality of hard work.

I see many people in the hallways of my school, with no intention of being here. Their physical being is here, but their better lack of judgment and determination causes them to drift into and out of classrooms without learning a single thing. I often feel indifference towards these types of people. Although they may not realize it, their choice now will affect their futures.

A good work ethic is not earned through succeeding. Succeeding is earned through a good work ethic. Hard work is not a talent. It is not a trait inherited by parents, or given to you in a box. Hard work is made when a person continues even when times get tough. Hard work is when you have a project due the next day and you stay up till early morning hours to finish. Becoming a hard worker is definitely a crucial component to have as it is required in most careers.

A familiar childhood story presents a perfect example of hard work paying off. The turtle and the rabbit enter a race. To no one’s surprise, the rabbit gains a huge lead and decides to take a nap. After a long rest, he wakes up to find that the turtle has won the race. Although the turtle had to carry a heavy shell and run with stubby legs, he persevered and won the race. The rabbit had lost, due to his boastful mindset and over-confidence. The moral here is that hard work is the only way to ensure success.

As I’ve gone through life experiences, I come to believe that everyone is born lazy and that good work ethic is acquired. When we are infants, our necessities are handed to us with a simple cry for help. As we grow older, we find ourselves gradually being assisted less and less. There will come a time when you have to ask yourself if you are willing to put the work required in.

“The easy thing isn’t always the right thing”, I’ve heard. Although it’s a common concept, it proves very true in many aspects of life. Choosing and then placing action is the foundation of all decisions. Hard work is the preliminary to achievement. Often finding ourselves split between two choices, we choose the easier decision, and the outcome seems sufficient. Every time I work, I strive to make the outcome of my actions exceed sufficiency. It is up to only you to make the decision and execute it. In a world of competitors, you must choose to be the turtle or the rabbit.