Mercy to Mankind

Ibrahim - Austin, Texas
Themes: forgiveness

Being Merciful is a well-founded belief that is deeply embedded within me. The willingness to forgive and not to punish. Terrorizing people would be the total opposite of Mercy and Islam.

It did not start on September 11, 2001. Terrorism can be traced far back or can be detected right now in the present. I recently had to read the book Night by Elie Wiesel. He had not been able to write about the Holocaust for a long time. Wiesel could not find the words to describe his experiences.When he did write people questioned him as to why start now? His answer was that he wanted to warn mankind from having anything like the holocaust ever repeating again. Elie had seen families separated and shot in front of each other.

Terrorism is the unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives. – The official FBI definition.

There was the case in which a Christian man went and killed abortion doctors because he believed that was what he was supposed to do. You won’t hear “Christian Terrorist” though.

One Christian does not represent the whole Christian community. Just as well a group of Muslims don’t represent the whole Muslim community. Otherwise, people of every religion would be terrorists.

Being forgiving is also a part of Mercy. Mercy should overtake punishment and anger. Every Religion tells you to be Forgiving.

“Forgive us for the wrong things that we do. Other people do wrong things to us. But we know that we also must forgive those wrong things.

Forgive people when they do wrong things to you. If you forgive them, your Father in heaven will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive them, your Father will not forgive you.”

Matthew 6:12 and Matthew 6:14-15

In Islam if one seeks forgiveness from Allah, he should learn to forgive others. If one desires that Allah overlook his weaknesses, he should learn to overlook weaknesses of others.

Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much. I believe in random acts of kindness. It would be interesting to see what effects a simple smile would have in another’s life. Recently for my World History class I had to read the book “Exit Point” by Laura Langston. In the book the main character acknowledged that he had not done many good things. He was surprised that the best thing he had done in his life was to help out an old lady at the super market. The help he gave her set off a chain reaction which made not only the lady’s life better but made the life of other’s better. Since the old lady had received help she ended up helping out many others.

In does not have to be a random person. Be kind to your friends. If they make mistakes then forgive them. Don’t base your thoughts of other people over one person’s actions. Mercy towards others is a pretty broad topic. Containing mercy will make your life better as well as others.