Sierra - Las Vegas, Nevada
Themes: love

I believe in loving others,

As a teenager I was an awkward girl with tan, rounded glasses with bright blue braces. I always had a new group of friends every year because I would come to find that my friends disliked me. They never were there for me and my looks were often the punch lines of cruel jokes. On several occasions I heard that I was the topic of conversation while not around and often didn’t want to hang out with me. “Let’s not hang out with Sierra this weekend, she is so annoying.” I learned quickly that they were not my friends and they didn’t have any love for me.

As I got older and my awkwardness faded, I found it easier to make fun of others and talk freely behind their backs because it wasn’t hurting me personally, but in reality it was. It took years before I realized that I could never be the kind of friend I want to have in my life if I constantly acted like those that hurt me years before. Finding love for those who are different than me can be very difficult. Thankfully the girls I roomed with my freshman year of college were great examples to me and shared my same weakness. We constantly worked together to overcome this problem of all of ours. When we found ourselves ripping on others in our daily routine of “gossip time”, we would sing a church song we all knew that would bring our thoughts straight back to thoughts of care. When I had realized that I had taken a step towards having love for others I didn’t care for, it was an amazing feeling I will never forget. I was sitting in my friend’s living room with company I didn’t much care for when I began to have rude and cruel thoughts of criticism stream through my mind. In an instant the thoughts I had been thinking had been thrown out as a church song I had learned in my childhood filled my heart and soul,”…As I have loved you, love one another…”. It wasn’t until I heard the song in my head, that I realized I was having these thoughts of hatred. It then hit me that this silly tradition my roommates and I created of singing this hymn while having “gossip time” had become a part of me and a habit. The tune was powerful enough to fill my heart with love for that person I once had unfair thoughts and feelings towards. Because of this event, I will always strive to have love for people. I believe in loving others.