women have to take care of themselves to become beautiful

Jung-Wei - South Bend, Indiana

I believe that women have to take care of themselves to become beautiful. Yearning to be beautiful is in women’s nature. According to a survey for female customers of the Debenhams department store in England, the best invention for female clothes is the wonder bra. The wonder bra has already become women’s best weapon to help them become beautiful, the department store’s spokesperson stated. Most of the fashion inventions posted on the list are the products which can modify women’s posture to help their figure look prettier. When I saw the survey in the newspaper, I thought this news was related to my belief that women can make themselves look elegant when they try.

However, in the past when I was young, my mother told me repeatedly that beauty and being natural was one and the same thing. As a consequence I never cared about what hair style suited me, or whether my walking posture was elegant. When most teenager girl spent abundant money or time to buy foundation, lipstick, or jewelry to decorate themselves or design their hair style, I thought that I could save the money to do other meaningful things, for instance, donate money to poor people. Nevertheless, this changed when my cousin had a face-lift which made her look prettier and self- confident. In fact, she became a model to start to pursue her dreams. I would say that the face- lift gave my cousin a new appearance, and also caused her to gain new identities which didn’t exist in her past life. The event was a shock to my belief. So, I decided to discard my old belief.

When I started wearing makeup, my daily life quickly changed. First of all, I found that I could catch people’s attention in a public place. I also found that it is easier to be recruited for a part-time job. I felt more self-confident confronting a stranger. Besides, although the money was not so much as before, I still could donate money to poor people; therefore, I felt happy. In addition, having a physical brilliance not only provides me with satisfaction but also provides other people with happiness because everyone would like to see graceful things. Although I followed my mother’s opinion that physical beauty was not very important, my experiences that physical beauty such as make-up made me feel happy and have more confidence have changed my thinking. When I recalled the old belief to compare with the new belief, I presently prefer to believe that women have to take care of themselves to become beautiful. And, for pursuing a gorgeous figure and looks, doing some pseudo activities is necessary and acceptable.