God’s Guiding Hand

Malvina - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe in God’s guiding hand. He has led me in the paths that I would never have chosen myself but I knew I had to follow.

At age eighteen, I graduated from high school. My dream was to study psychology in the Tirana, Albania University, and later take care for children with disabilities. I remember praying to the Lord to help me fulfill my dream. At the time I didn’t think to ask for His guidance, but now I wished I had.

I was not accepted, scoring just a few points lower than the minimum requirement for admission. I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. My dream was gone.

One day I ran into a classmate from high school named Oswald. He told me that he was accepted to that university. I was surprised. He barely passed high school. He told me how he paid money to be accepted. “Corruption!” I thought. It was not fair! I promised myself that I would study harder than ever to be accepted the next year. During that time my best friend, who was studying in America, had tried to convince me to go there, and get an education. I didn’t even want to think about that. I couldn’t imagine my life without my family.

The next year came. I was excited because a new university had opened in my city, so I applied there. When the day of the test came, there was no one to open the front gate. There were hundreds of students waiting for the chance of being accepted. We waited for an eternity outside the walls.

Finally someone came, and we all rushed forward toward him like a bunch of eager shoppers on Black Friday. I couldn’t believe when he said that the university would remain closed. I felt like the whole world had crashed around me. I wanted to get an education.

I looked everywhere and still didn’t want to go to America. Finally, I found a private university still accepting applications. This would be my chance. I majored in Accounting even though I hated math from high school. In time, I began to like it. Then, when everything was just right, something else came up. During the week of finals, I realized I needed a recommendation to be hired after earning a degree. There were so many students and so few job opportunities.

After all my trials, I prayed, this time for guidance.

It was the hardest thing ever, but I decided to apply to BYU-Idaho. I was accepted. I got my Visa; I came to America. Now I am attending BYU-Idaho and majoring in Accounting. Then, I was lucky enough to meet the most wonderful young man who shares my values. We were later married. What more can I ask?

All that time I had tried to follow my feelings, and I wasn’t truly praying. I see now that God’s ways are greater than I had imagined.