To Dream a Journey

Ashley - Turlock, California

To Dream a Journey

For a 16-year-old like me, it does not take much to make me start randomly wandering outside of my thinking box, then to suddenly stop and get back in focus. But this was different. I can not figure out what got me to stop and smell the roses in a garden like this one, but it did and got me to my belief.

The belief that Life is a dream within a journey everyone goes through.

There was a great poet/writer by the name of Edgar Allen Poe who once said “all that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.” In dreams, the dreamer is set in a situation where they are able to do whatever they want, just like in Life. There are moments where things are out of place (nightmares) or when they repeat themselves (déj– vu). Either way, the dreamer will face uncontrollable happenings upon which actions must be formed, and all actions have consequences which must be handled, whether it is a jovial occasion in Life which gives a student a 4.0 GPA, or a terrified moment in a dream where the dreamer wakes up with half their pillow in their mouth.

In addition to the difference in dreams, there is a difference in days as well. What I’ll be doing these 24 hours, writing this essay, I will not be spending second-per-second on any other day. Together, these days become the stepping stones I travel on in my journey through Life. I know I said Life is a dream, but every step I take is reflected in the dreams. Every step is a day, and every day is a dream.

I was once a very quiet person who would always wait until tomorrow to do her work, and spend all of today playing around. It was not until I was watching “Patch Adams” on T.V., I was horrified to see a hospital where young children were in the pediatrics ward, very ill and unable to enjoy their childhood. That image was stuck in my mind, and I thought about it for many days. It was a movie, but that one scene was so powerful, I could not imagine what it would be like to be one of those children. That is when I considered being a pediatrician, but also started to view Life as a fragile rose; so beautiful to look at, but can be harmed effortlessly.

That small moment in time had made me realize something very important. Life is a short journey, even though it is the longest thing I will ever do. I have realized Life is a precious adventure, because as I live every moment, my dream leads my journey ahead to places untold.