put the most important things in life first

Yixin - Brookline, Massachusetts

If you put the roses, lilies, hyacinths, rosebuds together you can get the most beautiful cluster of flowers. But how can I get the most fulfilling life? My answer is: put the most important things in life first; I believe in those magic words.

I was so confused whenever I had to make a decision until I reflected on the lesson from my favorite Chinese teacher, Ms. Liu. I still remember the day which she taught me about this, she came to the classroom with her beautiful smile and some strange items: two apples, many grapes and an empty glass. She wanted me put as many fruits in the glass as I could. I tried a few times, but I could only filled the glass with one apple and a few grapes. Finally, with her help, I figured out that the best way could be filled glass perfectly was to put the two apples in first, then fill the rest of the space with grapes as many as possible.

Ms. Liu was trying to tell me that the life is like the glass: there are many things in life, but if I want to own the most fulfilling life possible, the best choice is put the most important things into my life first, then fill life with the other things.

Once I got an invited from my friend for her birthday party on Friday. I was so excited about that, and I prepared a lot for her birthday with other friends. Unfortunately, I got the calling from my flute tutor before I went to the party. He said that since I had to pass the national exam for flute player, I had to take one more class a week on Friday because I definitely didn’t ready for this exam, that’s means I couldn’t go to my friend’s party. I had to make a decision, then I have thought about what Ms. Liu told me. In that time, the exam was more important than her party. Her party was so important, but for my whole life, the recognized from the national judges for my flute skills was more important since I have worked for it for 2 years. I should put the most important things in my life first then celebrated my friend’s birthday. After I got the recognized from the judges and made up in other way for my friend’s party, I felt my decision was so correct, and had a full feeling about life.

Now, I’m still building my life, when I have to make a decision I always think about what are the most important things in the life to make the correct decision. I believe in these powerful words which have helped me build my full life and always helped me made the correct decision- put the most important things in the life first.