I believe that our generation is getting farther away from the Bible

LaShauna - Durham, North Carolina

II Timothy 3:11 says “This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.” (KJV) Have you ever wondered what this world will come to? I mean there are so many advances since Jesus and his disciples walked the land. As the technology influence is constantly growing, and the marketing business is increasing, they lead to me to believe deeply in one thing. I believe that our generation is getting farther away from the Bible.

To mention perilous times, it signifies dangerous, unsafe, and just a very risky time. Today many kids could care less if they go to church or even pick up their Bible. It’s just something that many kids in my generation don’t even think about. The race for getting the latest video games and cell phones is taking over these children’s minds. The internet also does not help the situation. If it’s not myspace, then it’s bebo, and if it isn’t bebo, then its facebook, if it’s not facebook then it’s youtube. The time spent on these websites only increases there relationship with their friend or otherwise. Though, the time spent on these websites does not increase that child’s personal relation ship with God or their time spent reading God’s Holy Word.

I believe that our generation is getting farther away from the Bible because our generation is not as civilized as the older days. There weren’t a lot of murders, gangs and technology and things back then. As of 2008, there are approximately 24,000 gangs in the U.S., with about 750,000 members. This proves how our generation is getting farther away from the Bible. Gangs; besides drugs, are mostly influenced through murders. Our generation is creating a visible gap between us and God. For the Holy Bible says, “We are not wrestling against flesh and blood, but against principalities, powers, and rulers of darkness.” In turn our generation has completely ignored this scripture, by fighting against flesh in blood, in other words, against each other. Now since we have all of this technology, kids are always on the internet or watching television. The statistics have shown how fifty- four percent of 4-6 year-olds who, when asked to choose between watching TV and spending time with their fathers, preferred television. This shows that technology affects both spending time reading the Bible, and the time spent with family members.

I believe that our generation is getting farther away from the Bible because of so much violent that this world contains. This proves that our generation is getting farther away from the Bible because the Bible says love one another. The Bible also says that for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life. Without love, this world will be nothing. Our generation is completely turning away from the Bible by killing each other and having hatred toward our brothers and our sisters. I am going to leave you with this last statement; we are indeed living in the perilous times.