Responsibility

Mark - Wendell, Idaho
Themes: children, respect

I believe in giving kids responsibility. I was raised on a small dairy farm outside (Wendell) a small town in Idaho. It was a farming community where most the kids’ parents owned their own farms and the kids worked on the farm with their parents. If the kids parents didn’t have a farm they would go work for one of the farmers that needed help during the summer break. From the time that I was in the fourth grade my brother Daniel (who was a year older) and I had the evening shift milking the cows. It only took a couple of hours at night after we got home from school. I hated milking the cows because as a youth a couple of hours feels like an eternity, but we did it anyway because it was our responsibility. As Daniel and I got older we were given bigger and bigger responsibilities.

Before we even had our drivers licenses we were driving tractors, doing field work, and yes even driving them down the road from one field to the next. I loved driving the tractors and the swathers because it made me feel big and important. When I was driving the farm equipment at age twelve I felt as comfortable as a man that had been running it for twenty years. I would be out in the field by my self for eight to ten hours strait. I loved it because I was able to think of the different things that were going on in my life at the time. Those days in the fields working on my own or with my Dad were times that I learned some of my life’s greatest lessons. I was also blessed with the opportunity of building a relationship with my father that few people are able to gain in their youth.

I always envied my friends that were able to go do whatever they wanted whenever they wanted as a child but looking back I will be forever grateful that I was given responsibility because it has prepared me for life away from home. I believe that the responsibility I was given when I young has helped give me the capability to deal with life’s trials and struggles that are going to come as I get older. I will be better prepared when it comes time leave home and start a life and family of my own.