A Rainy Day

Rachel - Oswego, Illinois
Themes: family, setbacks

It was raining the day my Mom had her car accident. It was the kind of rain that was obnoxious because it would pour and then drizzle all day long. But that afternoon I wasn’t concerned about the rain. The only thing that I could focus on was the sight of the driver’s side door of my Mom’s truck crushed in.

It was a Wednesday afternoon and as soon as I finished my biology test, my Mom was supposed to meet me to take me home for fall break. She said that she had stories for me from back home and we were both extremely excited to see each other. Unfortunately we wouldn’t make it home as soon as we had hoped we would. As I was packing, waiting for my Mom to arrive at my school, I got a call from her. When I picked up the phone she was hysterical. She told me that she had been in an accident close to the school, but that she was okay. I have never heard or seen her upset like she was that day and when she said she was okay, all it meant to me was that she wasn’t seriously injured, but could be hurt.

In a panic, I grabbed my keys and my phone and ran. I ran as fast as I could to where she was. When I was about one hundred yards away I could see it. Her truck that we called “big red” was completely smashed in on the driver’s side door. At that point, I couldn’t tell the difference between the rain and the tears on my face.

When I finally reached her side we embraced through the shattered window. Her door wouldn’t open because of the impact from the other car. Other than a scratch on her hand from some of the glass, a bruise on the arm, and being a little shaken up, she was completely unharmed. The other driver was unharmed as well, but his car was totaled. We ended up driving home with the door smashed, no window, and it was still raining. We were able to repair “big red” and the insurance company later told us that if that had been any other car, then my Mom would have been seriously injured.

I believe that my family is the most important aspect in my life. I was willing to do whatever it took to get to my Mom that day to make sure that she was alright. For me, my family is everything. I don’t know what I would do without them and I don’t know what I would have done if something had happened to my Mom that day. They are the people who will always be there for me and I will always be there for them.