This I believe

Brianna - Wilsonville, Oregon

I believe in not drinking caffeine. I was in my junior year of high school, when I walked into my healthful living class and sat down between my two best friends, Madeline and Monica, as I did everyday. My teacher, Mr. Myers, began the lecture. That day we were talking about healthy and non-healthy things to put into our bodies. Ever since I can remember I have always been paranoid of disease and sicknesses. When someone tells me something that can harm my body I take it serious, and act upon it. As my teacher was lecturing he said this one thing that has stuck with me, “Drinking caffeine can cause diabetes.” From there on out I decided not to drink caffeine.

Monica has diabetes and watching her give herself shots in the stomach, arm, and leg about 4 times a day has really made me think that I really don’t want to be diagnosed with diabetes ever. I haven’t always been against drinking caffeine. Before I learned that it can cause diabetes I used to always buy energy drinks. I lived off of them at times. My friends and I would go to our local grocery store, Thriftway, and buy energy drinks just about every Friday night right before our high school football games. When I stopped drinking caffeine my friends thought I was crazy. Surprisingly Monica thought I was crazy as well. She only thinks that diabetes is genetic and you are born with it, like she was.

Not drinking caffeine has always come easy for me. I was raised in a Mormon home where my parents didn’t believe in drinking caffeine. At first I thought my parents were weird for not wanting me and my sisters to drink caffeine. Now I understand why they wouldn’t want that in our house due to health reasons. Caffeine can also become addicting. My parents not buying or allowing it in our house has made it easier to give up. I don’t ever want to become addicted to anything. I believe that by not drinking caffeine I will have less of a chance to become a diabetic. I will also not become addicted to it.