I Believe In Respecting Diversity

Amanda - Round Rock, Texas

This I Believe In Respecting Diversity

Have you ever looked in an M&M bag and notice that the candy is different colors? However, when you put them in your mouth they taste the same. I believe this analogy best describes the diverse culture in the United States. We have people living and working in our community from all over the world. I feel that as a nation we should continue to learn and educate others about the different cultures so that everyone in the United States will respect diversity.

The United States as a nation is very diverse. For example we have African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, Anglo American , American Indians, and Muslim just to name a few,

all living and working together. I enjoy having an opportunity to converse with people from different races or backgrounds than myself. I often find that we enjoy the same types of activities, foods, and music. One reason is due to the fact that we pull from each others cultures. We enjoy different foods and celebrate different holidays and traditions from other countries. For example, The Asian Culture celebrate the Chinese New Year. Several schools and communities in the United States have dragon dances and parades to celebrate. Many public schools like to host cultural fairs and special cultural assemblies with dancing and food. These types of activities bring awareness to children at very early ages so they grow up respecting the holidays from different races and cultures.

There are a lot of different religions in the United States. We have Baptist, Catholic, Buddhist, and Muslim to name a few. When driving down the street you may see a variety of different churches and temples in one community. Even though there are many differences with each of these religions, all share one thing in common. We all

believe in a supreme being. Most public schools do not promote religion; however they don’t discourage students not to worship a religion. My school provides a few moments of silence everyday to meditate to play. Some student is allowed to leave class at a certain time each day to pray to Mecca. I believe these types of practices, show respect to all of the religious beliefs.

Even though I have a high respect for different races and cultures in the United States, some people do not share the same feelings and views of similarities. Various laws such as Brown vs. the Board of Education help guarantee that everyone has an opportunity

To attend schools, social events, live in the same community, and work with others in a diverse society.

The next time you buy a bag of M & M_ s, think about our nation and how we are all different; yet the same. We should embrace the fact that we live in a giant melting pot and respect our diverse society so that we can continue to grow as one as a nation.