A Rule

Joshua - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe in service. I will always remember that cold snowy day before Christmas. My parents were divorced and financially we struggled. Sometimes we could hardly get by. I don’t think we could even afford presents that year. I was about sixteen and I only cared about myself. It helping other people was something I wasn’t concerned about. Then, on that dark, snowy night I opened the front door to find a large pile of brightly wrapped presents sitting on the front porch. I still do not know who left that stack of presents, but I will never forget the feelings I had that Christmas day. Those people made that holiday possible for me and especially my little siblings. They will never know how deeply they touched my life that night.

A few years later I was a teenage driver. Inexperienced, but still driving on the ice and snow covered roads late that night. The car was just a little two wheel drive Pontiac, and I slid off the road. I was stuck and didn’t know what to do. I was still miles from home, and had no cell phone. Then a man stopped and helped pull me out. He drove a four wheel drive pick-up. I could see he was cold, he shivered through a light coat. He was a stranger, but he took the time that night to help a stuck teenager. I will always remember his kindness. I still don’t know his name. He will never know how deeply he touched the life of a teenager that night.

Now it is my turn to help others. I will always help someone to have Christmas for their children, even if I have to cut back in my spending to do it. I will always stop to help that lonely person stuck on the side of the road in the snow, even if I am cold as well. This is how I can say, “Thank you, thank you so much for what you did for me.”

I am no longer a teenager, but people still go out of their way to help me. Little notes from my wife, someone holding the door when my hands are full, still brighten my day. The world is full of good, and I can help spread that good to others. I believe that wise is man that set forth the rule, “do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”