To Love With The Power of the Sun

Crystal - Aurora, Colorado
Themes: love

I believe that love is the life-source for the entire world. Literally without it, life could not exist… like the earth needing the sun. I believe this with absolute conviction. Love is a word that is used all the time, but very much taken for granted in regards to its true meaning.

I believe love is unconditional and predominantly spiritual… that there is a God, within each of us to find on a personal level, and that this God equals love. My faith in God doesn’t come from “miracles” or dogma/doctrine. It comes from faith in the power of love.

Even if we have to temporarily or permanently say goodbye in our heart to someone very close and important to us (perhaps the most significant lover/soul connection of our life, a best friend, or a parent)… whether because the value we added to each other’s worlds reached its maximum potential and our ships both sailed in different directions, or if our interactions with one another somehow were no longer healthy… I believe LOVE carries on in our hearts still, and that bond will always exist unless we shut it out. I am beyond thankful for the uniqueness of such relationships in my own life and how they shaped who I am today.

I believe mistakes can be overcome and forgiven because of love. It is impossible to forgive without love. My son is little, and I know that in the future we will both make mistakes (and I already have). Our infinite love for each other is what will, without a doubt, cause these mistakes to be merely lessons learned in our journey in this life together. We are not perfect, but love is.

I believe that love should be carried forward to others. That any pain or traumatic experiences in our past can be used for good in the future to help others who may follow in similar footsteps. It is meant to evolve so that the next generation will have more knowledge of it than the last. From my own experience I can say that this is sometimes a long and difficult journey, with many “dark nights of the soul” along the way. It isn’t always easy, but it’s simple.

I work at a residential treatment center for teenage girls. Ninety-nine percent of the time, ninety-nine percent of them are too caught in their own unfortunate pain to see beyond themselves. However, they are still wonderful human beings who carry love within them, even if buried. I saw a small example of this from 2 girls in the same shift one day. I was transporting one of them off-campus, and I told her she could listen to whatever she liked on the car radio. She began scanning through the stations, but then immediately asked me what kind of music I like to listen to. The other girl, as I was leaving for the day and I told her goodbye, said, “Have a safe drive home.” These subtle gestures are simple yet powerful examples of love in that they paused for a moment, in the midst of whatever else may have been on their minds, to think of someone else. I was impressed by this that day, thankful, and reminded that love exists everywhere.

I think each of us has a love story. Hopefully one with another human being, though if not then most certainly with ourselves. To truly find the love of our life, we should begin by looking in a mirror. It’s a wonderful cycle, to give love and help others, in turn making ourselves better… also loving ourselves first and enough to then bestow that upon others.

We all deserve and have the capacity to love and be loved, if only we will embrace it. It makes life worth living and is the very substance of life itself. This, I believe – with every fiber of my being.