Get Your Sleep

Russell - Johnstown, Colorado

Get Your Sleep

By: Russell T

I’m a 12 year old 6th grade student of Colorado and I believe that sleep is a paramount part of our day. When it is available you should appreciate it. Now I’ve got a little story about my winter break. So as soon as I get home I kicked off my shoes and immediately knocked-out my homework. Anyway, I spent my entire break sleeping-in and being “conservative” or lazy take your pick. So I have a great and restive break so on and so forth. So when I returned after break and into the 3rd quarter at school I notice that I have 20/20 clarity and full of energy for learning and such. Intrigued, I asked my mother after hockey practice about how I could go from hazy to alert. She replied simply that I had caught up on my sleep. So of course when we had a moment of spare time we sat down and calculated how many times I had stayed up into the early hours of the morning doing my advanced homework. It turned out that I had been approximately eight hours behind on my sleep. Not from video games or T.V. but just from homework. Wow! So the moral of this story is get your sleep or have your mind ravaged by sleep deprivation.

Now let’s take a look at the darker side of this subject. Sleep Deprivation. In many countries it has been outlawed as a torture too destructive to use. The practice of it literally destabilizes the mind until you will tell the enemy anything for want of sleep. As I have said before I was previously eight hours behind on my sleep. It was like torture but on a smaller scale. I couldn’t think entirely straight and was tired all throughout my classes nearly genuinely falling asleep when class was in session. It is much like a vicious cycle. School starts at 7:30 and ends at 2:35. Being one of very few students who is in all advanced classes and classified gifted in all categories I am constantly plagued by work overload. So I stay up late doing work so I don’t get to bed on time and I can’t sleep-in. So alltogether I get a minimal amount . It is a vicious vicious cycle of sleep deprivation.

There are many benefits to a continual schedule of full sleep. You are all around healthier. You heal quickly and you, again, think clearly and of coursework harder. You awaken easier and gain a full alert status sooner, so that you are full of energy right-off-the-bat. I’ve said it twice and I’ll say it again YOU THINK CLEARLY. I cannot impress upon you how much a difference it makes being fully alert all day long.

So overall in this topics entirety, I believe in a full nights sleep. Thank You.