In this I Believe….

Brandon - Prairie Farm, Wisconsin

Obstacles in one’s life can mean many things. What is a normal life? What makes one’s life harder than another? What is considered an obstacle? We all have to get over obstacles sooner or later in life, but it is in the midst of the obstacle we need to understand what we have and what we can be proud of.

My own obstacles started long before my twin brother and I were born. It was alcohol and drug dependence on my mother’s part. It wasn’t till we were about three when this addiction rekindled. My father gained custody of us when we were three, and a few years later moved us to the country to be raised. Through the years my mother has been in and out of treatment, half-way houses, and prison, visiting use every other Sunday for only a couple years. My brother and I are now 21 and haven’t seen or spoken to our mother since we were 15, not of choice, but it seems as if she doesn’t want to be found.

This is an obstacle in life, but it’s not the only one. My father who raised us and cared for us has had two heart attacks. He is 47, but has the heart of an 80 year old. This is another tremendous obstacle for my brother and I to get through while we try to make it through college and become young men.

These obstacles might seem bad to most, but are nothing compared to others. I just believe that there is no normal life, and everyone experiences obstacles. So when you’re talking negatively about how life is going; smile and remember how good you have. My brother was valedictorian, he now holds a 3.8 GPA in college and is applying to Med. School. I was a three sport athlete in high school and have played baseball and football at the college level. My family is inseparable, and we love to be together. To get through obstacles you must be proud of what you already have, everybody has something that nobody else has, it is within this you can accomplish many things, it is in this I believe.