Appearance is Important

Thomas - Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
Themes: question

I think that we all tend to judge people, and unlike most people I believe that it is good to judge people based on their looks and their appearance. I think that people are judged by their appearance everyday in this world, and it actually helps everyone out in the end. When someone judges you because of how you present yourself, I think that you can notice it. From the strange glares to the little whispers, it seems that people are talking about you badly when they don’t even know you. When you see this, you will recognize that you are different and depending on what type of person you are that maybe different isn’t always good.

I have judged many people before just like anyone else has. I can remember in 6th grade when I wore Airwalk shoes and Jnco jeans, and the other kids just had regular shoes and jeans that actually fit. Obviously, I thought I was cooler because I compared how they looked with what I looked like. Now being in college and paying for things myself has taught me that cool clothes don’t mean anything, but how you present yourself in front of someone does.

I think that first impressions are everything. When you first notice someone who stands out, you think to yourself, what makes them different anyway? I think that people should be more aware how differently people can present themselves. Now, I know that some people think that making judgments about people is morally wrong, but people do it in their head every day. What if you went and investigated the questions you had about a person just based on how they presented themselves? You might find out that there is a reason why they appear that way and it may help you learn something you didn’t know, and Criticism can be positive and people can learn from it.

Trying to find a job these days is something that everyone is going to have to go through. How you present yourself is very important in applying for almost any kind of position. An interview is always the last process of being employed. You can fill out applications on-line all day long but when you go in for that final interview and they see something that doesn’t fit their profile, or there is something wrong with your appearance you won’t get hired and they will tell you “see ya later.” When I have children I will assume that there will be a time in my life where my wife and I aren’t going to be able to stay home with the kids. This means I might have to count on someone else to care of them just as I would. How do you pick the right person? How do you know what they are really like? If they look like an irresponsible teenage girl or a bum off the street would you trust them?

Judging people based on how they look isn’t a bad thing in my mind. I believe that it is a key necessity to learning in life. I think that being judged based on your appearance is something that everyone goes through, and will continue to go through throughout life. It can mean the difference between getting hired for a job or not or it could allow more or less people to trust you. If you look like you can’t be trusted, chances are they are going to ask someone else. I think that if more people start judging people on their appearance, it will help both participants learn things. If someone tells me that I don’t look right for that, I’m going to start asking why? I believe that more people should start criticizing and judging other people based on what they look like. This will always help someone care more about what they look like, and essentially I believe that more people should care about how they present themselves.