Don’t Fall into the Belief of What You Hear

Sarah - pewaukee, Wisconsin

During grade school and high school, I believed that appearance means a lot. I was constantly getting called a “dumb blonde” because of my hair color. Everything was based off what type of clothes a person wore and what he/she looked like. When I was younger I was always begging for the coolest brand clothes and shoes. As I got older, someone’s makeup and hair become another aspect of importance in appearance. In middle school and high school young people are really trying to figure out who you are, but many times you tend to fall into classifications and groups. I have always been prejudged and now I have began to fall into that same pattern. I judge others.

Many times people become what others think of them even if that is not who they are. This makes it easy to slip into another role. I unconsciously make these judgments based on my experiences with stereotypes. Since I was in grade school I have been known as the, “dumb blonde.” This has carried with me throughout my life. I will be the first to admit that I live up to that name once and awhile, but who doesn’t? My hair color and personality fits very well with a stereotyped blonde haired girl, but people many times don’t take the time to realize, I am way more than that. In high school many people made fun of me because I didn’t have that good of grades, but I honestly feel that it was because the teaching style and environment was not right for me. Many times I feel that I was told I was dumb, so I started to believe it myself. It took until college when I decided to start fresh; I became a good student and worked hard at what I did.

When I came to college it was really time for me to prove myself to everyone that had made fun of me and still does. I have learned to let it roll off my shoulders a lot better than I did before, and I think that has helped me overcome that stereotype. I know I have also been stereotyped as snotty by people before they get to know me. I have been told many times that they thought I would be snotty towards them and unkind, but once they get to know me, I am very open and easy to talk to.

The experiences I have had really effect who I am today, and make me work harder to break the stereotype that people target me as. I have gained so many friends from different groups that if I kept prejudging instead of taking the time to meet them, I would be missing out on some great friendships. This is something that everyone needs to work on and improve. As I start my new job as a production supervisor, I want to work my hardest at not prejudging someone by their first appearance. Many people are so much different than what their appearance shows, and I believe if you judge the outside of them you will never see what greatness is inside of them.