My Two-Timing Toothbrush

Amanda - Sussex, Wisconsin

Off the wall, non-sense and you bet I’m full on crazy. That is how my family and close friends often view me. I agree, I will never argue that I’m a little bit nuts. When I meet anyone new, I do what I call “mission impossible: hiding the crazy.” This is where I do my very best to hide all my insane little quirks that make my family sometimes think that I should be wearing a straight jacket. Just recently, however, I’ve decidedly quit hiding the crazy. That is why I’m going to tell you about my toothbrush.

I’ve had my toothbrush for a while now; I can’t actually tell you an exact amount of time, and I don’t keep that good of track of these kinds of things. But I can tell you this; it is longer than the doctor recommended length of time. All the while I’ve had this toothbrush, though, I think that my toothbrush has been unfaithful. Yes, this is crazy, I know but after all that is what this is all about. I’m accepting my insanity. Then again, how crazy can it really be? Who hasn’t imagined inanimate things coming to life? I know plenty of people who swear up and down that their dryer eats socks. But the sad part is, I’m hurt that my toothbrush is coming to life and cheating on me. I guess we never had that kind of relationship that we expressed in words. I just assumed it was an unstated thing that existed between us. We obviously have a close bond; after all, my toothbrush is in my mouth about three times a day. I think that’s close enough to be considered a relationship. Anyway, I guess this suspicion all started when my new roommate moved in. She’s a great girl, I don’t blame her, but her toothbrush is most definitely to blame for this infidelity. I’ve never actually caught the two of them engaging in anything. They know better to personify themselves when I could catch them in the act. Those two toothbrushes are always together though. They just sit there in that cup right next to each other. Even more suspiciously, sometimes I turn on the bathroom light and they are suddenly exactly opposite each other, as if they had to quickly scoot away from each other so as to not raise my suspicions. I’m obviously on to them. The biggest clue that my toothbrush is cheating on me is the fact that I don’t use orange toothpaste. I use this greenish-blue. Some days though, I walk in the bathroom to brush my teeth and there is orange toothpaste residue on my toothbrush. I think I may have to get a new one.

Yes, this is a crazy story and yes, I believe it to be true. This idea to most people may be purely insane, but I need this insanity; it is my inspiration. I am going to school for industrial design, and I very often have to put myself into unknown situations or other ways of life in order to design for real people of all different desires and needs. As a designer, I need fuel for my ideas. I’m going to be making a career based off of creating these elaborate alternate worlds and designing products and graphics for them. I have to be tuned into and deeply researched in these worlds, even if it is the world within a bathroom. The more vivid my imagination is, the more creative and innovative my designs. That is why I believe that there is a link between insanity and inspiration.