Music Makes the People Come Together

Amanda - Idaho Falls, Idaho

I believe in music

I agree with Madonna when she says, “Music makes the people come together.” In my life, where the music is, that’s where the people are going to be. From Yellowcard to the Eagles, Mozart to Josh Groban, Tom Jones to Journey… People love music!

The Doobie Brothers famously sang, “Listen to the music…all the time.” Where is music found? I listen to it in my car. I listen while exercising. I listen to it while I am doing my homework. I believe that music is all around me. I was sitting on my couch writing my paper and I heard the clock ticking to its steady beat. Then I turned my attention to the drip from the faucet that was adding its own rhythm. The world makes its own music.

There are certain songs that I hear that remind me of my past. For instance, the song “Bye Bye Bye,” by N’sync reminds me of my days at Homestead Elementary School, when I was constantly fawning over Justin Timberlake. Or, the song, “You and Me” by Lifehouse reminds me of my fiancé, Derek, because it was the song that we danced to right before he asked me to marry him. The song, “Desperado” by the Eagles reminds me of a time that I had a horrible experience babysitting, and afterward, I went on an hour long run, to burn off stress. Towards the end of my run, that song came on and I stopped at the park and sat down on a hill, and bawled my eyes out. It may seem like a bad memory, but that is now one of my favorite songs. That is what music does to me. I believe that music creates an experience that I wouldn’t normally have in a music free world.

Sly and the Family Stone exclaimed, “Dance to the music!” I believe in the power of music. Whenever I think of Derek, I always think of love songs. Movies would be nothing without the soundtrack playing in the background. In church, the times I feel closest to my God are when I am singing the hymns.

Music is the most prominent factor in my life, and I am sure I am not alone in saying that. It’s impossible to avoid, so all I can do is get up and dance! I believe music, whether good or bad, has an effect on my life… it has an effect on how I live, and how I treat other people. It has power. I am grateful for the part music plays in my life.

To quote ABBA, “Thank you for the music.”