Only the good die young

Dana - Fairfield, Connecticut
Themes: setbacks

Only the good die young.

by Dana T

As a baby, my grandma had past away at the age of 74 of a heart attack. Being that I was 14 months old when she passed away, unfortunately I did not know her or understand what was going on. As I grew older my family and friends had always been the most important thing in my life. Also, I had been lucky enough that everyone was healthy and still apart of my life. This didn’t last to long though. My grandpa had past away when I was 10 years old; however, I was not affected by it much because he and I weren’t very close. Thankfully, I have not lost anyone close to me quite yet, and I was hoping it didn’t happen anytime soon. I was wrong though. I believe that only the good die young.

It is going to be very hard for me to write about this tragic event, but my family and I are trying to stay strong about the whole situation.

Early Friday morning, March 21st a good family friend of ours, Matthew Morelli 38 years old, was shot and killed in a church parking lot in South Norwalk. I had been at my friend Lauren’s the night it had happened. I got a call early in the morning from my mom telling me about Matt. As soon as she told me, I could not hold it in, I burst into tears and I was totally shocked. My 2 friends were there to comfort me and help me during my time of grief and sadness. This had probably been one of the most excruciating days of my life. It was the first time I have ever experienced a death of someone close to me, and it was the worst feeling ever.

Matt was an amazing man, he wasn’t like an average type guy though. He grew up in a household of 3 boys, Matt being the youngest, and a very strict mother and father. After graduating from Weston High School, he became a U.S. Marine and served combat duty in Operation Desert Storm. In 1996, he returned to Connecticut to become a Police Officer in Norwalk. His father, his older brother, and Matt himself, were all survivors of the Marines and very proud of what they accomplished. He came out of the Marines with his head held high and was up for anything.

Matt was the type of person though who would not deal with anyone’s crap. If someone was messing with his family or friends, he’d make sure to put them in their place. Let’s just say, you didn’t want to be on Matt’s bad side.

He was a true born hero. Still, to this day and for many days to come, many people including me do not understand how anyone could be so cruel and take away an innocent life. Now family, friends, and police departments all over the country have to deal with the loss of their son, close relative, friends etc, and their lives will be completely different.

I’m trying to look at the situation as Matt died with every last bit of strength he had. He gave everything his all and never gave up, as a Marine, as a brother, as a Cop, etc. He had accomplished so much in his life it was amazing. Yeah, it is going to be very hard for me the next week or two, when just looking at a picture of Matt makes me cry, but my family and I are going to stay strong and remember all of the good things about Matt, and he will never be forgotten.