Another Galileo

Paul - Maricopa, Arizona
Themes: humanism

I believe in the human mind.

The knob was cold, perhaps to reveal what lay behind the patterned oak that bore the phrase “Welcome.” I walked out of the freezing temperatures into a room that told my nose and ears 65, but my eyes saw subzero as I gazed upon the cold lifelessness of the apartment. I heard the close of what seemed like a dungeon door behind me and with great effort I tried to make out the occupants of the darkness. Chris, Lawrence, Blake; they sat on the couch without expression as blue lights simultaneously danced across their faces. I remained standing in the doorway as my focus shifted from the dull, but glowing expressions of my friends, to the metal box in the corner.

I sunk deep into the leather sofa and my eyes fixed upon the hypnotic images that flashed in my face and begged for attention. I refused to subject myself to the reveries of false reality that had my friends addicted like a drug. For hours they sat there with emotionless expressions in front of the TV as opportunities to expand the mind remained at bay within their own brains.

Priceless is the time spent in conversation with the wise, in self meditation, in reading a book, in political debate, or in teaching a child. Could we produce another Galileo in a society where dinner table conversations contain the words ‘season finale’ or ‘final contestant’ all too often? With the elements of our society that detract from the learning environment, could our generation foster another Einstein? Another Shakespeare? Another Columbus? Or possibly we are creating too many gamers, TV critics, and couch potatoes.

It has taken me awhile to grow up and realize the greatness of life. Prior to college I often found myself settling for temporary and diminishing entertainment through ‘high scores’ and ‘top finishes.’ I spent too long lying on the hill of complacency, when the valley of productivity was just on the other side. I haven’t purged my life of computers, television sets, and potato chips; nor have I devoted myself to classic literature on Friday evening. I recognize now however, the limitless possibilities and endless opportunities to develop and improve in every aspect of life; whether it be physically or mentally, socially or emotionally. I believe in the human mind as an incomprehensible blessing for mankind.